Blend old highlights
What you’ll need
- MIIKOKO Colour Kit
- Developer & 2 Colours
- Clothing protection cape
- Kitchen scales
- Timer (on your phone)
See full video on how to blend old highlights.
- Wear a button-up shirt
- Put on gloves and cape
1. Root Colour: Using kitchen scales, mix 40g of the darker colour with 30g of the developer and 30g water. If you need strong grey coverage (up to 90%), mix 50g of colour with 50g of the developer.
2. Ends Colour: Using kitchen scales, mix 50g of the lighter colour with 75g of the developer (if you have long thick hair, mix all the contents together).
Prep & Section
- Start with dry, combed hair.
- Starting 2cm back from the hairline, use your fingers to draw a cap shape until your fingers meet at the crown.
Tie hair away
- Pull the top section up and tie it away with a hair tie.
- With a small scoop of the lighter colour on your brush, start to paint the colour directly onto where the old highlights start.
- Continue to paint all the way down the strands of hair.
Milk the hair
- With both hands, milk the sections from where the lighter colour was painted on to ensure it spreads evenly.
- Repeat the above steps on the rest of the hair from the underneath section.
- Wash your gloves under water, or use a paper towel to remove excess colour.
- Let down your hair that was tied away with a hair tie.
Take a section
- With a small scoop of the darker colour of your brush, paint from your where your highlights start and stop at the middle of your hair
Milk the hair
- Stop painting at the mid-lengths of your hair.
- With both hands, milk the section where the colour is to ensure it spreads evenly.
Take Random Section
- Pick up a couple random pieces of hair throughout the top section.
- Paint the darker colour all the way to the ends.
- Milk the section where the colour is to ensure it spreads evenly.
- Again, wash your gloves under water, or use a paper towel to remove excess colour.
- Take a small scoop of the lighter colour on your brush and paint it on your mid-lengths to ends.
- With both hands, milk the sections from where the lighter colour was painted on to ensure it spreads evenly
- Repeat the above steps on the rest of the hair in the top section (leave out the random pieces you coloured with the darker colour).
1. Set your timer and relax
Timing for blending old highlights
30 minutes or see your personalised instructions.
- Rinse by shampooing the hair twice and conditioning from roots to ends.
Hair colour hints
Want to know our top tips to blend old highlights? Read below <
1. The dark colour is for the roots and the lighter colour should be applied at the ends.
2. Don’t worry about overlapping the darker colour with the lighter colour when milking the hair.
Doing this actually helps to blend the colours together to give you a seamless look.
3. Saturate the hair with colour
4. Leave colour on for up to 30 minutes
5. Try not to wash your hair 2-3 days after colouring