Cover your greys
What you’ll need
- MIIKOKO Colour Kit
- Colour & Developer
- Clothing protection cape
- Kitchen scales
- Timer (on your phone)
See full video on how to cover your greys.
- Wear a button-up shirt
- Put on gloves and cape
- Start with dry, combed hair.
- Part your hair down the middle into two sections, then part each section from the top of the head to just behind the ear.
- Using kitchen scales, mix 50g of colour with 50g of the developer (this is the grey coverage mix that gives up to 90% grey coverage).
Read our grey coverage guide HERE.
- With a small scoop of colour of your brush start to paint the colour directly on to your regrowth – where your greys are most prominent.
Take the next section
- Take the next section using the pointy end of the brush. Use your thumb as a guide, place it at the back of your head, then run the pointy end of the brush from the front to your thumb. Pinch the hair above the brush and lift.
Paint on roots
- In small 2 cm sections parallel to your part, work your way down one side of the head.
Around the ear
- Paint in an upward motion around the ear to avoid getting colour on your skin.
Repeat on the other side
- Repeat the above steps on the other side of your head.
Back and Underneath
- Repeat the same action for the back and around the neck. Lift the sections up to the top of your head and paint in an upward motion to avoid colour on your skin.
and Ends *optional*
If your ends colour has faded, and you need a colour refresh, follow the steps below to colour your mid-lengths and ends. Otherwise, skip this step.
- After your timer goes off, start with the same section and side of the head you did the roots, now take 4cm sections.
- Place your hand under the section and paint onto your mid lengths and ends of the hair using your hand as a support ‘backing’ for the brush.
Milk the colour
- With both hands, milk the sections from where the lighter colour was painted on to ensure it spreads evenly.
Set timer and relax
1. Set your timer and and relax
Timing for roots only
Timing for roots and ends
25 minutes roots
5 minutes on ends
Or see your personalised instructions
- Rinse by shampooing the hair twice and conditioning from roots to ends.
Hair colour hints
Want to know our top tips to get the best grey coverage result? Read below <
1. Use the Grey Coverage mix for up to 90% grey coverage
2. Start at the front of your hairline
Gives the hair at the front the longest time to process.
3. Saturate the hair with colour
4. Leave colour on for up to 1 hour
5. Try not to wash your hair 2-3 days after colouring