Two Toned Hair Colour
What you’ll need
- MIIKOKO Colour Kit
- Developer & 2 Colours
- Clothing protection cape
- Kitchen scales
- Timer (on your phone)
See full video on how to do a two tone colour.
- Wear a button-up shirt
- Put on gloves and cape
- Start with dry, combed hair.
- Part your hair down the middle into two sections, then part each section from the top of the head to just behind the ear.
- Tie the back section away with a hair tie
Mix Colour 1 (darker colour)
- Using kitchen scales, mix 50g of the darker colour with 75g of the developer (if you have long thick hair, mix all the contents together).
If you need strong grey coverage (up to 90%), mix 50g of colour with 50g of the developer.
- With a small scoop of colour of your brush, start to paint the colour directly on to your roots – on both sides of your part.
Take the next section
- In small 2 cm sections parallel to your part, use the pointy end side of the brush to take the sections. Use your thumb as a guide, place it at the back of your head, then run the pointy end of the brush from the front to your thumb. Pinch the hair above the brush and lift.
2. Repeat this action all the way down the side of the head.
Repeat on other side
- Repeat the above steps on the other side of your head.
- Repeat the same action for the back. Take 2cm sections and work your way down the back of the head.
- Repeat the same action for around the neck. Lift the sections up to the top of your head and paint in an upward motion to avoid colour on your skin.
Paint colour from root to mid-lengths
- Start with the same section and side of the head you started the roots, now take 4cm sections.
- Place your hand under the section and paint the darker colour from your roots and stop at the middle of your hair.
Stop at Mid-Lengths
- Stop painting at the mid-lengths of your hair.
- With both hands, milk the section where the colour is to ensure it spreads evenly.
Mix up Colour 2 (lighter colour)
- Rinse the colour bowl with water until clean and dry it with a towel.
- Using kitchen scales, mix 50g of the lighter colour with 75g of the developer (if you have long thick hair, mix all the contents together).
Paint Mid-Lengths to ends
- Go back to the same section and side of the head you started on for the roots, take your 4cm section again.
- Place your hand under the section and paint the lighter colour onto the mid lengths and ends of your hair using your hand as a support ‘backing’ for the brush.
Milk Ends of Hair
- With both hands, milk the sections from where the lighter colour was painted on to ensure it spreads evenly.
1. Set your timer and relax
Timing for two-tone colour
20 minutes or see your personalised instructions.
- Rinse by shampooing the hair twice and conditioning from roots to ends.
Hair colour hints
Want to know our top tips to get the best two-tone results? Read below <
1. The dark colour is for the roots and the lighter colour should be applied at the ends.
2. Choose colours that are 2 shades apart to get the best results
This way, the contrast won’t be too stark but you’ll still be able to see a balayage result.
3. Saturate the hair with colour
4. Leave colour on for up to 30 minutes
5. Try not to wash your hair 2-3 days after colouring